Sunday, January 27, 2013

Whole30 Day 27 - Paleo Stuffed Peppers & Breakfast

So here I am at Day 27!  I feel really great and am pretty used to the "rules" of the game at this point.  I have finished reading "It Starts With Food", the foundation for the Whole30 and really enjoyed the book.  There is a lot of science to back the reasoning behind it, which is important to me.  I have started to re-read the deeper sciencey sections to have a clearer understanding :)
I plan to stick with the principles I have learned for the most part - I am feeling really great as a result of eating this way.  I don't think I will add dairy back in on a regular basis or gluten.  Definitely enjoying no processed foods - it is challenging to eat NONE whatsoever, but totally do-able.
I am more than ready for a cocktail, though!!  Bring on February 1st!

Paleo Stuffed Peppers
Made these last night, following the basic template from this blog and previous experience.  I had made these before but the peppers weren't cooked enough, so I made sure to pre-cook them this time.

Ingredients -
5-6 bell peppers
1 lb natural hot pork sausage
1 lb grassfed beef
1/2 large head cauliflower
8 oz baby bella mushrooms
1 medium onion
4-5 cloves garlic
1/2 jar strained tomatoes
Dried oregano
Dried parsley
Red Pepper Flakes (we like a lot!)
Salt & Pepper

First cook the sausage.  Use a little coconut oil/ water if needed to ensure it doesn't stick.
While sausage is cooking, rice (raw) cauli in food processor to form rice-ish-size pieces.  Transfer to separate bowl.
Once sausage is cooked, cut into small pieces and cook beef (same pan).  
Preheat oven to 400
Chop garlic and onion in food processor, move to bowl with cauli.
Slice baby bellas - I used top attachment on processor since it was already dirty.
Once all meats are cooked, transfer garlic/ onion/ cauli/ mushrooms to same pan to brown.  Add little coconut (or olive) oil if needed.  Brown veggies, add spices.
Cut centers of bell peppers out so they are stuff-able.  Put a little oil in the bottom of pan you will be using and place pepers bottom-up - cook for ~10 - 15 mins.
Add tomato paste and strained (or sugar free natural sauce if you don't have).
Mix all components together.
Stuff the peppers!  Turn heat down to 375 and bake 30 - 45 mins.




Breakfast
There was some leftover stuffing that didn't fit in our peppers - so I sauteed it this AM with some kale in coconut oil, then added a few eggs.  YUM!






No comments:

Post a Comment