Sunday, April 4, 2010

Garden Plans!

We are close to installing our garden... I planted the seeds that are to be started indoors this weekend. I purchased all our seeds from Seed Savers Exchange a few months ago and have been eagerly awaiting this time!

I have the seeds of:

2 kinds of beans
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
2 kids of carrots
2 kinds of cucumbers (one for salads, one that's for pickling)
Eggplant
Lettuce mix
Beets
Red onion
Yellow onion
Melon
Peas
Sunflower mix
Squash
Zucchini

I am planning on buying plants of basil, parsley and cilantro as well.

I discovered GrowVeg.com which is a great website to lay out your garden!  It helps with companion planting but I liked this Site as a better reference.  There is a free 30 day trial on growveg, which I am doing now.  This is the initial plan I drafted for our 10x30' raised bed, using marigolds & sunflowers as companion flowers.  The top row is along the outside fenceline so the peas & beans can climb.

Here is a picture of Lily playing from today which also shows where the garden will be; along that side fenceline.


Hopefully next weekend we will get the lumber and construct the raised bed...can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment