Monday, May 3, 2010

Homemade (larabar inspired) Energy Bars

I recently discovered the deliciousness that is a Larabar.  They are so healthy because of their limited ingredient list, which, coincidentally, makes them really easy to make!  I found instructions here at Enlightened Cooking.

I purchased organic dates, dried cherries, almonds, peanuts, and banana chips in the bulk section of the grocery store and got to work.  I started with the PB&J-inspired bar since I thought it would go over well with the husband :)  By the end of the food processing...we had both eaten a couple raw dates (new to us) - they are really delicious!  Not sure whether I will have to go thru the trouble of food processing since they are great on their own - but I digress...

PB&J flavor Energy Bars
1/4 cup+ dates, pitted
1/4 cup+ dried cherries (or raisins)
< 1/3 cup peanuts.

Blend dates and cherries in food processor and remove when they have melded into a paste.  Set aside in separate bowl.  I say "1/4 cup +" above because the initial mix was too peanutty.  Plus, more fruit is a good thing :)
Chop peanuts in processor (no need to wash processor).  Lay out plastic wrap to wrap the bars, because your hands will soon be stickyyyyy-
When the nuts are pulverized, mix with fruit paste in bowl to combine all (3) ingredients.


Form into bars.  Since I ended up adding more fruit, I made 4 bars.  The EC recipe indicates that it makes 2.


Refrigerate to maintain freshness.  Enjoy pre- or post- workout for a super healthy snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment